Well, it is hard to believe that 2013 is already upon us. Thank you to all of you who donated items to our “Giving Box.“ The items were distributed and I am sure they made many needy children and families very happy. December was filled with lots of holiday fun and much learning about the different holidays. We talked about Christmas and Hanukkah. This time of year gives us lots of opportunities to talk about how we are alike, yet different. It also gives us opportunities to celebrate those differences by sharing our holidays. We also were very busy practicing for our Holiday celebrations that we hope you enjoyed! January will bring lots of excitement. Many of the classes will begin their journey into winter and snow. The 4’s will be continuing their special unit of traveling to different countries. You will be amazed at all of the wonderful things they will be learning. January also marks the beginning of our Book Buddy Program for the 3‘s and 4‘s. A bag will be sent home with a stuffed animal friend (named by the class) along with a journal for the family to write about this animal friend’s adventures in each child’s home. Every child will have the opportunity to take the bag home and should return it to school the next scheduled class. At that time, your child will be able to share his/her journal page with the class. This will continue our work on whole language and pre-reading skills. We hope all of you are having a very happy and healthy holiday and a Happy New Year!
Pam Stern Scholarship Event
We hope that you are planning on joining us for the 5th annual Big Ones Event at the Cubby Bear on Saturday, February 23rd at 7:00 p.m. If you did not receive information, please let us know. It should prove to be a wonderful time for all, and all proceeds will benefit the Pam Stern Scholarship Fund. This fund enables families who need financial support to be able to send their children to preschool. Please don’t forget that even if you are unable to attend, you can support the scholarship fund by buying raffle tickets and/or make donations for the silent auction. Thanks in advance of your support for families in need!!
Teacher In-service Information
The State of Illinois, as well as the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), requires that our staff participate in continuing education throughout the school year. In order to satisfy that requirement, Little Ones is closed for three teacher workshop days during the school year-one in October, one in January, and one in March. This month we are closed on Tuesday, January 15th. This should already be marked on your calendar from the beginning of the school year.
(1) Make sure that your child’s extra clothes are complete and that they are appropriate for the weather. With the cold weather, it is imperative that your child has adequate clothing for the weather conditions.
(2) Please make sure that you send your child to school with outdoor clothing that includes a warm coat, hat, mittens (not gloves), snow pants and boots when necessary. Don’t forget to send a plastic bag for wet boots, and if your child comes dressed to go out that you send a pair of shoes for when your child comes in. Make sure that all clothing is clearly marked. We go outside if it is at or above 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
(3) Please post your monthly calendar in a spot where you can refer to it often, so that you are aware of all upcoming events and school closings.
(4) Please make sure that you check your child’s mailbox everyday for important notes.
(5) In order to ensure safe and adequate parking; please make sure to park facing the building and within the parking space lines behind the school building.
Welcome & Congratulations
We want to welcome the Kim family to Little Ones. Noah joined Mrs. Edelstein and Mrs. Newman’s 2 ½ year old class in December.
We want to welcome the Yen family to Little Ones. Charlotte will be joining Mrs. Lash and Mrs. Smason’s 2 ½ year old class after winter break.
We want to welcome the Jacobs Family. Alexandra will be joining Mrs. Edelstein and Mrs. Newman’s 2 ½ year old class after winter break and Samantha will be joining Mrs. Barr and Mrs. Nudelman’s am 4’s class after winter break.
Goodbye & Good Luck
We want to wish the Boniface family good luck in their new home. They recently sold their house and are moving out of Northbrook. We will miss having Will in our afternoon 4-year-old class, but know that he will do well in his new school.