In March we will be starting our Community Helpers unit and begin moving into spring. This a great time for children to learn about health, safety and nutrition, as well as about important people in our community. Love, Sheree
Music Benefits Your Brain (from Exchange Every Day)
“Playing music is the brain’s equivalent of a full-body workout,” writes Maria Popova in her article, “How Playing Music Benefits Your Brain More than Any Other Activity,” in Brain Pickings. “Playing an instrument engages practically every area of the brain at once — especially the visual, auditory, and motor cortices. And, as in any other workout, disciplined, structured practice in playing music strengthens those brain functions, allowing us to apply that strength to other activities…. Playing music has been found to increase the volume and activity in the brain’s corpus callosum — the bridge between the two hemispheres — allowing messages to get across the brain faster and through more diverse routes. This may allow musicians to solve problems more effectively and creatively, in both academic and social settings.
“Because making music also involves crafting and understanding its emotional content and message, musicians also have higher levels of executive function — a category of interlinked tasks that includes planning, strategizing, and attention to detail, and requires simultaneous analysis of both cognitive and emotional aspects.”
“This ability also has an impact on how our memory systems work. And, indeed, musicians exhibit enhanced memory functions — creating, storing, and retrieving memories more quickly and efficiently. Studies have found that musicians appear to use their highly connected brains to give each memory multiple tags, such as a conceptual tag, an emotional tag, an audio tag, and a contextual tag — like a good Internet search engine.”
- Please make sure that you have extra clothing on hand at school that still fits your child and is weather appropriate.
- Don’t forget that we are closed Monday, March 2nd for District 27 closure.
- Don’t forget that we will be doing vision and hearing screenings for children 2 years, 11 months of age and up on Tuesday, March 10th and Wednesday, March 11th. These will be regular school days.
- Don’t forget that Scholastic Book Orders are due March 18th.
- Don’t forget Crazy Hat Day on Thursday, March 19th, and on Wednesday, March 18th for the 3 day 2’s.
- Don’t forget that we are closed from Monday, March 23rd through Friday, March 27th for Spring Break. School will resume on Monday, March 30th.
Congratulations to the Richmond family on the birth of their little boy, Maverick James, on January 30th.