Your Little Ones have adjusted well to their new teachers, friends, and routine during September. You have done a terrific job of reassuring your children that you will return to reunite with them as soon as class is over. The children appear secure and free to explore their new classrooms, make new friends and develop new skills. Thank-you so much for all your help and support. We are looking forward to a wonderful year with your children. Love, Sheree
Room Parents and Parent Volunteers
Based on parent requests to support the school, we have now assigned room parents. Please feel free to check out the room parents who are now listed on the website. The room parents will be assisting with the following: helping with family programs, attending parent group meetings, coordinating at least one class get together outside of school for families, and coordinating teacher gifts at holiday time and at the end of the school year. We also will be continuing our parent volunteer program in the classroom. We encourage all parents to sign up to volunteer in their child’s class at least one time during the school year. This will give you the opportunity to be a part of your child’s learning, as well as give you the opportunity to see your child in action in his/her class, see what the preschool day looks like, and see the wonderful interactions and learning that take place during the school day. Parent volunteer days will begin in October for the Prekindergarten classes, in November for the 3-year old programs and in January for the 2’s programs. Please see your child’s teachers to sign up.
The goal of the Parent Group is to assist the Little Ones’ staff in providing excellent programming for our children. The group also supports parents by listening to concerns and questions, and, when appropriate, raising these issues with staff. The Parent Group meetings are open to all parents and meetings are always posted on the calendar. If you would like a question or concern to be addressed at an upcoming Parent Group meeting, please don’t hesitate to give Sheree a call.
Scholastic Book Orders
Parents are now able to order scholastic books on line. Go to https://clubs.scholastic.com. Go under the parent section and set up your user name and password. When prompted enter the one-time class activation code listed below to set up your account for Little Ones. Please note that book orders are due every month on the 18thof the month.
Class activation Code: GNJB2
Based on years of experience, we have found that it is best for preschool children to have a regular school day on Halloween. Many times costumes lead to aggressive kinds of play, tears, potty accidents, etc. Therefore, we ask that you refrain from sending your child to school in costume. The Little Ones Parent Group will be hosting a family Halloween Party at the Village Green 1810 Walters Avenue in Northbrook on Friday, October 26thfrom 4-5 pm. This family program provides a great opportunity for your child to show off his/her costume and to enjoy some Halloween fun. More information will follow.
There is a state law that prohibits the use of cell phones while operating a vehicle in a school zone area unless it is in “hands-free,” voice-activated mode. Please help keep our little ones safe while also obeying this law by not using hand-held cell phones while driving to or from school or while driving in the parking lot. Remember your children are watching and your good example helps them learn respect for rules and regulations.
Pam Stern Scholarship Fund
The Pam Stern Scholarship Fund is a fund that was created to honor our friend and colleague Pam Stern. She was an esteemed teacher at Little Ones for ten years before she died of lung cancer in March of 2010. This fund enables families who are dealing with financial issues to be able to send their children to preschool. You can support this fund by making donations to the fund, and/or by purchasing cards to acknowledge an event in someone’s life. These cards can be purchased for $5.00 each and are a nice way to honor a birthday, graduation, new baby, etc., or even to express sympathy upon a death. Please see Sheree if you would like to purchase some of these cards.
(1) If you haven’t already brought in a family picture, please do so ASAP. We want to make sure that every child feels included in his/her class family poster.
(2) Don’t forget to read the wipeable board outside your child’s classroom everyday, so that you are aware of what your child has accomplished that day. This will also enable you to talk to your child about his/her day on the way home or at the lunch/dinner table.
(3) Don’t forget to check your weekly e-mail class updates.
(4) Don’t forget to check your child’s mailbox every day for important notes and projects.
(5) Due to all our children with nut allergies, it is imperative that no food be brought inside the building. Please make sure that your child and any siblings finish all their food outside the building. Thanks in advance for your support! (6) Don’t forget that your 2ndtri-annual payment is due October 1st.
- Congratulations to the Funk family on the birth of their baby boy, Aaron, September 6, 2018.
- Congratulations to the Zitter family on the birth of their baby boy, Reed, September 9, 2018.
- A big welcome to the Delger family. Henry is starting in the 3 day 3’s class in October.